Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Unusual But WONDERFUL Fast Sunday

I know it's Wednesday and I am soo slacking. I just haven't been able to catch up on all the things I need to since I was sick last week. BUT I WILL.

I have to tell you about Sunday. It was Fast Sunday in our Stake because of General Conference the week before. Now, as you can imagine, Fast Sunday is one of my dreaded Sundays. You know, just praying there are no visitors in the congregation when someone gets up and says something completely ridiculous.

ANYWAY, this Sunday when my Hubby and I sat down in our pew, I noticed a few men that I hadn't seen before. So, I asked my Hubby who they were. He said he hadn't seen them before either. Okay. I'm thinking I will find out after Sacrament. I didn't have to wait until after Sacrament. I found out during testimony time. The first guy got up in his obviously two sizes too big suit and tells all about how he has been in the ward boundaries for a while, but not come to church. And how he is making a change in his life and will be here every Sunday. And that he is so excited to be back. It was wonderful. Genuinely excited to be at church and enjoying the gospel. (I was thinking 'this could be a good fast and testimony meeting after all.')

Then, two people later, one of the other men I didn't recognize got up. (Now you have to picture him.) Jeans, black and white leather jacket, black t-shirt with white lettering on it (I couldn't see what it said), scruffy face, short, fifty-four year old man. (he told us his age)

He gets up and says that his mother told him he needed to share his life story and so he did. He started talking (100 miles/hour) about all the drugs he had done over the years. Listing them by name along with his age when he started using each one. Talking about his getting married when he was really young. Having kids. Getting divorced. (Now you have to also picture my Bishop, being very uncomfortable, on the edge of his seat trying to decide whether to stop him or not) Getting together to hang out with his kids a few months ago. Dirt Biking. How he promised himself he would stop all the drugs, tobacco, and alcohol by his 50th birthday, but he was four years late. He wrapped it all back into him realizing that his family was important and that he was going to straighten up, come back to church. He had been clean for 22 days and was excited! He said he will be there every week from here on out.

Wonderful. It was a great meeting. Real people making real changes. Everyone from a little different situation beginning/continuing their spiritual goals. I thoroughly enjoyed my Fast Sunday.

2 comments:

Mrs. B. Roth said...

I concur, it was a good Sunday all around. I went to the adult classes and wasn't offended at all! :)

Phannie said...

That makes it an awesome Sunday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...