Mormons also have a shelf. Most do not know it exists. This shelf holds different things for different people, all with differing excuses as to why this problem should be ignored. Here are some examples that I have collected from myself and other Mormons and ex-Mormons of what might be on a Mormon shelf with the possible accompanying justification:
- Polygamy - "as long as I'm the first wife"
- Distribution of Church funds - "they are called of God, they must be inspired to where the money goes"
- Earths existence in years - "our time is different than Gods time"
- Dinosaurs - "our time is different than Gods time"
- Scriptural Inconsistencies - "I don't know all that God knows. It will be explained later."
- Temple Ceremonies - "I need to attend more; I don't understand yet."
- Temple Changes - "Revelation"
- Scripture Changes - "Revelation"
- Inequality between YWs and YMs - "boys are different than girls"
- Priesthood - "It's just the way it is."
- Church Involvement in Scouting - "it's not really a 'church' program."
- Masturbation - "cultural teachings not doctrinal teachings"
- Gaudy Temple Materials - "only our best for the Lord."
- LGBTQIA treatment by the Church - "those things didn't really happen. Our leaders would never do those things."
- Women without decision making powers - "that's the responsibility of the Priesthood, I'm just a mother."
- Horrible things said by Prophets - "they are fallible men working with an infallible gospel."
This crash brings many into the questioning-Mormon world. A world that makes no sense. A world where all your ally's now view you as the enemy. A world where trust is lost. A world where finding truth becomes imperative to survival. So, you begin your journey.
This is where I began mine.