Tuesday, May 25, 2010

"Greener" Garbage

I consider myself a "go green" person. I'm not fanatical by any means. I try to find little ways that might save me money as well as save the earth. (this seems like a little waste of time since the oil spill. It's contaminating faster than I can help. Anyway. . .)

I have a bunch of reusable grocery bags. I do my best to remember to take them to the store. What I don't know is,

What do ya'll use for your small trash bags?

I would use the plastic grocery bags I got at the store. Then I don't have to buy any. If we all use reusable grocery bags, then what do we use for our trashes in our bedrooms, bathrooms and offices?

Just wondering.

2 comments:

Mer said...

This is gonna sound weird, but technically, you don't need trash bags. They're a recent "necessity" people got sold on by excellent marketing. My grandma thought they were the silliest invention. I mean, I use them for my kitchen trash, but I don't bother for other rooms where I know there won't be major mess. I just dump the basket directly into the dumpster, then wipe it out and with a cloth and spray it with a disinfectant (like Clorox Anywhere spray, which is safe for kids or pets, or you can use vinegar as long as you let it air dry). I also spray my counters and other surfaces with it while I'm emptying the trash. Other than the kitchen trash and *some* bathroom trash, you aren't really dealing with major messy trash items. Smaller trash bags just aren't necessary.

I've never owned a diaper pail -- I either put diapers directly in the kitchen trash (which has a tight lid and goes out every night, anyway) or take them outside to the dumpster.

I do know a girl who made her own cloth trash bags that she rotates and washes with bleach every week... but I'm too lazy. I wipe and spray.

Mer said...

Oh -- and you can sew a couple of pieces of velcro and a strap onto reusable shopping bags to you can fold them up to wallet-size and keep them in your purse. They sell fancy bags like that for $$$, but if you can sew you can add it to the ones you already have. Once I did that, I stopped forgetting my bags and stopped getting mad about them taking up so much room.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...