Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Be Safe When By Yourself

This past Saturday night I was out shopping by myself. A blissful time without the kids and Hubby, right? Well, I was at Harmon's Grocery Store. I had gone in, found all of my needed groceries, paid for them, and walked out having had my normal wonderful experience at my favorite grocery store. But while I was putting my groceries into my trunk this man I didn't know was walking towards me. Noticing this, I picked up my keys and wallet (I had placed them in front of me in the back of my car so I could unload) and stepped around to the other side of my cart. Putting it between myself and this man.

When he got to me he asked, "I locked my keys in my car and my wife is down the street at our storage unit and I was wondering if you were headed in that direction?"

(By the way there are NO storage units near this Harmon's location) I told him, "You know you can go inside to the customer information desk and they will let you use their phone to call a locksmith or someone else to come and get you."

He said, "Well, I don't have any money and wasn't sure if they would let me. . ."

I cut him off and said, "The people here at Harmon's are great and I'm sure they will help you out."

He just turned and walked away. I never saw him enter the store. I went home and called to let Harmon's know what had happened so they could watch out for him in case he tried with someone else.

I thought that this guy was pretty ballsy because I was parked 4 cars from the door, under a light, and there were at least 6 people outside within 50 ft of us. Please, please please be careful when out alone at night. Remember to:

  1. Be aware of what is going on around you.
  2. Park close to the doors of the store or building you are going into.
  3. Park in a well lit area.
  4. Never take a stranger anywhere, NO MATTER WHAT
  5. If you feel the need, ask the manager to have someone walk you to your vehicle.
  6. Lock your doors immediately after you are in your vehicle.
  7. Report what happened to the store and if needed, to the police.
Be cautious, even if you think you are in the safest place. You just never know.

1 comment:

Melissa and Erick Avila said...

Thanks for this. It was a good reminder. Glad you're always on your toes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...